Sunday, August 22, 2021

May 15, 2021 - Lower Stony Creek Fire Road from Woodstock Reservoir to FS92

Picture of the Day 
Woodstock Reservoir

   This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP500 (or SHEN500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the "Lee 333" in under a year also.

Today's Hike:
Distance: 4.38
Duration: 3:11
Ascent: 858ft
PATC Difficulty: 86

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
Trails: 43 of 169
Trail Miles: 130.38 of 406.35 miles (275.97 miles to go)
Hiked Miles: 215.51 miles

 
Today's Track

    It's a been a long year, we are just coming out of the first wave of the Covid-19 epidemic and my life has really changed in many ways. During the time since my last post I made several trips to the Lynchburg VA area. I section hiked some parts of the AT that I've never hiked before, extending the southern most point of the AT I've completed. 

    I'm definitely out of shape now and I needed a break from the Massanutten valley area for a while. So today I drove out to the Great North Mountain area of the Lee Ranger District. I've only been there a couple of times and that was over 2 decades ago. I randomly picked a hike that starts at the Woodstock Reservoir.

Parking at the end of Millertown Road (SR 749)

    Driving north on Millertown Road (SR 749) I didn't know what to expect. I found a pleasant little parking are at the end of the road just south of the reservoir. It was a chilly day. A few boys arrived by car just as I was getting ready for this hike. They quickly went up the trail. 


Stony Creek as seen from the parking at the end of Millertown Road (SR 749)
 
Trail headed north from the parking area

Shelf Mushrooms

Woodstock Reservoir Dam

   About 20 minutes later the boys were coming back down the trail As I was headed south towards the reservoir. Each had a towel around their necks and were wet. I asked them if they had jumped in the lake. They said yes and we continued on out way. In spite of the chilly day I can only guess that they had jumped in from this concrete dam shoulder in the picture since it was wet.


Trail beside the Reservoir 
 
Just upstream from the Reservoir 
 

Stony Creek

    I continue north without meeting anyone. It was a great day for hiking. The lake is beautiful and the steam was full and burbling as it cascaded over the rocks. I saw a man fly fishing but could not get a picture at the moment he was casting. It would have made a great picture.

Most of the trail was much better than this.

Typical Trail View

On of the stream crossings on the trail

FS92 parking area

   I made it as far north as the FS92 parking area before stopping to take a break. While eating lunch, A man ad his dog hiked in to the parking area from the north. I found out that he had hiked 10 miles that day with his 10 yo dog. That's quite a hike for a 10yo dog. The man was preparing for hiking trip with friends out west some place. One of the big national parks like Arches, but I can't remember which one. The dog was so tired that he had to be helped into the truck but could tel he was loving being out on a hike.


Nice Hiking

Another Stream crossing

Selfie

I use this one as my cell phone screen saver now 

Back at the Reservoir


Indian Strawberry

Lots of Indian Strawberry

   I returned the way I'd come and didn't meet anyone on the way back. Once back to the car I scouted out some of the nearby trailheads for upcoming trips.

Back at the car

Can't remember where, perhaps along FS92?

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 5, 2024 -

Picture of the Day       This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the Lee 333 Challenge. I named the challenge 333 because in...