Monday, August 30, 2021

June 27, 2021 - Emerald Pond, Forest Access Road, Massanutten Mtn South and Bird Knob

Picture of the Day - Emerald Pond

      This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP500 (or SHEN500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the "Lee 333" in under a year also.

Today's Hike:
Distance: 4.87
Duration: 2:58
Ascent: 621ft
PATC Difficulty: 77

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
Trails: 46 of 169
Trail Miles: 135.31 of 407.05 miles (271.74 miles to go)
Hiked Miles: 242.87 miles

Today's Track
  
 
A nice flat trail...for once...

    Today's hike took me out to the Great North Mtn area again. The hike was not a long one. It's quite a drive up a long dirt road over rocks and through a narrow canyon. 

 
The start of the hike on Forest Access Road (AKA Massanutten South Trail?)

    Once the forest road reaches the ridge it heads north ending just below an unnamed peak with a radio tower. The road up to the tower is gated. I parked on a bend in the road just before the gate.


The trail is gated
    
    The forest access road continues north, accessible only by foot from here. It roughly parallels the Bird Knob trail which is just to the west.


Easy walking

     After about 15 minutes of hiking it began to lightly rain. It didn't last long and all I did was open my umbrella for a mile or so.


A minor side trail leads to this small meadow

Huge Ant Hills
 
     The night before this hike, I watched a you-tube video about the large ant colonies on this trail and I didn't want to miss them. There was no chance of that! When I stopped at one of the larger ones the ants started to crawl up my boots.

So easy...even in the rain

Wow ....ants again

Sun coming out

Northern Intersection of Massanutten Mtn South and Bird Knob Trails

Another Intersection of Massanutten Mtn South and Bird Knob Trails
 
    There is one short cross over trail to the Bird Knob trail. I did not take it, deciding to cover it on the return trip via Bird Knob.

A few rocks on the Bird Knob Trail

Keep going...

Some interesting rocks

The shape of the rocks here are like pillows

Indian Pipe


Perfect trail..no, really

Trail on smooth flat rock

Lots of Indian Pipe today

Out into a meadow just before the trail turns east to Emerald Pond

A better view of the meadow

Nice Fern beds between the meadow and Emerald Pond

Ferns Again


The trail to Emerald Pond


A fish or frog in the pond
 
 
 
   I put my feet in for a few minutes before bushwhacking my way the rest of the way around the pond before heading back to the car.




Trail up to the Forest Access road gate

Hiking up the forest access road back to the car.
 
    This section was the hardest of the trip, it must have been because I was tired and forgot that it was up hill in this final stretch of the hike.

 
I see the car!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 5, 2024 -

Picture of the Day       This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the Lee 333 Challenge. I named the challenge 333 because in...