Tuesday, May 22, 2018

May 12, 2018 - More Massannutten Trail, Forest Road 66 to the Strasburg Reservoir and Little Passage Creek Trail to Signal Knob

Picture of the Day

    This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP500 (or SHEN500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the "Lee 333" in under a year also.

Today's Hike:
Distance: 8.94
Duration: 5:09
Ascent: 1392ft
PATC Difficulty: 157

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
Trails: 16 of 107
Trail Miles: 49.47 of 342.2 miles
Hiked Miles: 87.76 miles

Today's Track

    OMG, this was my worst hike thus far. Most of the route was easy hiking, except the final half mile up to Signal Knob. What made is a killer for me was that it was 92 degrees for most of the hours I was hiking.


The gated FR 66/trail

Parking area on FR 66

Next to the parking are is a nice piped spring.

This small building is next to the piped spring and the parking area.

The first 2 miles from the parking area to the Strasbourg Reservoir is a easy mostly flat hike. 

A couple of backpackers and a group of horseback riders passed me in this section. 

The Massanutten trail leaves FR 66 before the Reservoir but just skirts the lake on the western side while the FR 66 passes on the eastern side.

More flat trail just before the lake

This looks really good but I was really really hot after just 2 miles!

I'm going in, no matter what!

A view of the dam

Wow, no way! Well perhaps just a quick dip.

I walked into the water and put my head under several times but can swear that I never swam once. The lake was not that cold.

Strasburg Reservoir 

Strasburg Reservoir 

The FR 66 is crossed by little passage creek

A really nice intersection with the Massanutten/Little Passage Creek Trail


Massanutten/Little Passage Creek Trail Intersection Sign

Another really nice intersection with the Tuscarora Trail

Tuscarora Trail

Tuscarora Trail sign where it crosses FR 66

A couple passed me coming down from the Knob near here.

Now FR 66 begins to climb

    I have no pictures of this hot steep rocky road to the peak. I was hot, exhausted and at one point I actually considered turning back (not seriously) but at one point I had to sit in the feeble shade of a small tree on a boulder within sight of the top wondering if I'd ever get there and why I was doing this anyway?

There was a small breeze at the top but the flies would not let me rest in peace.

A guy passed through wearing long blue jeans! He didn't even seem hot.

A view of Strasburg from Signal Knob

A view of Strasburg from Signal Knob

     On the long hot slog back to the car I made use of the benches at the trail intersections (thank you). It was a long final 2 flat miles back along the FR 66 to the car. I got some minor relief when some clouds moved in and finally blocked the sun a bit. Some boy scouts were setting up camp not too far from the parking area. We said hello but I was too tired to talk.

    On the whole the trip was not enjoyable. I think I'd have been better off waiting a few hours before starting and hiking back in the twilight when it might have been a bit cooler.

Crossing Little Passage creek on the Little Passage Creek Trail
on my return trip rounding the lake on it's western side.


No comments:

Post a Comment

April 20, 2024 - Cedar Creek Trail and part of Narrow Passage Road

Picture of the Day           This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I named the challenge...