Sunday, November 19, 2017

Staring the "Lee 333" Challenge - George Washington National Forest Lee Ranger District Hiking Challenge

     It's been quite a while since I've finished the SNAP 500 (http://davessnap500.blogspot.com/) and made my AT hike attempt (https://scifiat.blogspot.com/). It's long past time to get moving again and so I'm starting a new hiking challenge. I'm going to attempt to hike all the trails in the Lee Ranger District of the George Washington National Forest.

    I'm still working out the details, but it seems that the Lee Ranger District is composed of two areas: The Massanutten Mountain area and the Great North Mountain area. The list I've compiled so far has at least 57 trails in the Massanutten area and 42 in the Great North Mountain area and that's not counting the ATV trails. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to include the ATV trails in this challenge yet.

     As far as mileage goes, the count is at 181 miles for the Massanutten Mountain area and 134 miles for the Great North Mountain area, for a total of 315 miles. The ATV trails could add another to 36.1 miles. Of course, these counts are just a work in progress and will change. I'm using the PATC books: "Massanutten Mountain Hiking Trails" and "Great North Mountain Trails" as a starting point however I don't yet know if they cover everything in the Lee Ranger District.

Dave

PS, thanks to all who followed and supported me on my AT hike, especially Christy.






    



No comments:

Post a Comment

April 20, 2024 - Cedar Creek Trail and part of Narrow Passage Road

Picture of the Day           This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I named the challenge...