Saturday, December 5, 2020

September 19, 2020 - Wildflower and Discovery Way Trails

 
Picture of the Day
Mill Stone on the Discovery Way Trail

        This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP500 (or SHEN500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the "Lee 333" in under a year also.

    I recently decided to include all the ATV trails in the challenge too. That raises the total mileage to almost 400 miles and affects the stats below and from this point onward. I guess I'll keep calling it the Lee333 until I have a real total number of miles and come up with a snappy name.

Today's Hike:
Distance: 1.56
Duration: 1:05
Ascent: 545ft
PATC Difficulty: 41

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
Trails: 40 of 163
Trail Miles: 122.31 of 398.69 miles (276.38 miles to go)
Hiked Miles: 200.18 miles
 
Today's Track

    My wife and I were out for a drive today near the Wildflower and Discovery Way Trails so I decided to knock them off the list.

Permanently Closed Massanutten Visitor's Center

   These are two pleasant short walks next to the Closed Massanutten Visitor's Center.

Starting the Discovery Way Trail

Wildflower/Discovery Way Trail Parking
 
  
A nicely paved Discovery Way trail
 
  
An unmapped trail leads off to the right uphill!
  
    After the walk to the Mill Stone described below, I came back here and explored this unknown/unmapped side trail.

 
Trail introduction signage
 
 
The Discovery Way trail continues with a slight down hill grade
 
e 
A Very Nice Discovery Way Trail!
 
Nearing the end of the Discovery Way trail

The Mill Stone at the end of the Discovery Way trail
 
 The mill stone sign
 
  
A short side trail at the mill stone, goes nowhere
 
Joining the Wildflower trail from the Massanutten South Trail
 
The unmapped side trail lead me up to the ridge and to the Massanutten South trail. I followed the Massanutten South trail until I intersected the wildflower trail and followed that back to the parking area.
 
At the Massanutten / Wildflower trail intersection
 
  
Wildflower trail heading back towards the Visitor's Center
 
The Wildflower Trail at the Visitor's Center

 
Historical Marker in the Visitor's Center Parking lot

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 5, 2024 -

Picture of the Day       This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the Lee 333 Challenge. I named the challenge 333 because in...