Saturday, December 5, 2020

August 22, 2020 - Seven Bends SP to Massanutten North to Lupton, Peter's Mill Run and 7 Bar None

Black Trumpet Chanterelles

    This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP500 (or SHEN500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the "Lee 333" in under a year also.

    I recently decided to include all the ATV trails in the challenge too. That raises the total to almost 400 miles and affects the stats below and from this point onward. I guess I'll keep calling the Lee333 until I have a real total number of miles and come up with a snappy name.

Today's Hike:
Distance: 9.39
Duration: 7:37
Ascent: 2812ft
PATC Difficulty: 229

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
Trails: 38 of 164
Trail Miles: 117.83 of 399.19 miles (281.36 miles to go)
Hiked Miles: 191.59 miles

Today's Track

    This was a long one, I hike up to the Massanutten trail via the Seven Bends Start Park and made a big loop to the north using the Lupton trail, Peters Mill Run and the seldom used 7 bar None trail. That was a long trip for me, 9.4 miles (this route kicked my ass).

Seven Bends State Park where the main 'road' meets the trail up to the ridge.

The Seven Bends State Park Map

   I entered the park at the Hollingsworth Road entrance and parked there at about 1pm. I hiked through the open gate along the gravel road surrounded by a tall corn crop, passing the maintenance building, until I reached Pawpaw Hollow trail. From there, it was a steep climb up to the Reservoir Trail.

Nearly dry stream bed near the Maintenance building

Looking back to the intersection of the Pawpaw Hollow Trail and the maintenance road

Pawpaw Hollow trail

Pawpaw Hollow trail starts to climb
 
Pawpaw Hollow trail

    On my return trip I hiked this section in the dark. I was too stubborn/lazy to stop and get out my headlamp and nearly fell stumbling over rocks.  
 
Intersection of Pawpaw Hollow trail an the Reservoir Trail
 
Now this is more like it
 
Hmmm...what was this stone circle?
 
Another view of the stone circle
 

 The old reservoir
 
    Along the way I stopped at the old reservoir. After taking a look at the pond, I stepped into a deep pipe embedded vertically into the ground at the top of the reservoir berm with the toe of my left foot. My foot went in up past my ankle and I fell forward onto the ground. It was quite painful. After recovering from the shock for a few minutes, I took a look at my ankle. There were only a few minor scrapes but I was bruised along the front of my foot from above my ankle all the way down to the top of my arch.  I guess it couldn't have been too bad since I decided to continue the hike. Looking around the area I noted that there are at least two more of these open pipes there, beware. 
 
The old reservoir 
 
 
The vertical pipe where I fell 

Some clear cut near the Stonecrop Ridge/Talus Trail area
 

Poor view in the distance but a beautiful day none the less

Intersection of the Reservoir trail and the Stonecrop Ridge trail 
 
 
Keep going, up and up

and going
 
Nearing the ridge and the Massanutten Trail  
 

A big bolette mushroom at the start of the Talus trail
 
Starting the Talus Trail (there was no talus on the trail itself)
 
Talus beside the Talus trail
 
The Massanutten trail on the ridge just ahead!
 
I made it to the ridge
 
Ok, now, hike north on the Massanutten trail to the Lupton trail
 
and then return here via the Peter Run Mill and 7 bar none trails....got it
 
Looking east towards Peters Mill Run
 
I made it to the Lupton trail (my 2nd time here)
 
   The Lupton trail intersects Peter's Run Mill trail where I made a left and headed south.
 
Along the Peters Run Mill ATV trail
 
It's a good thing I had a GPS, I would have never found the 7 bar None trail.
 
Not used much but still easily discernible
 
    I was pretty exhausted at this point so I took a break sitting on the ground picking mushrooms. Next would be just a short hike to the ridge them back down into the state park again.

Black Trumpet Mushrooms on 7 Bar None
 
Black Trumpet Mushrooms on 7 Bar None
 
7 Bar None as it climbs back to the Massanutten trail
 
 
    Between the Peter's Run Mill trail and the ridge, 7 Bar none starts out with some very wet grassy areas to cross before going up and leaving the stream behind.

Another Black Trumpet
 
It had been a rough hike by the time I got back to the 
Massanutten/Talus trails and I still have 2.5 miles to go!
 
     It got dark as I made my way back down from the ridge on the state park side. The trail is wide and I didn't get out my head lamp until well after dark. I finally stumbled back to the car barley able to take another step. Just sitting is such a relief...

     No more pictures until that evening while cleaning my mushroom harvest.

Some smooth Chanterelles found on the Lupton trail

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 5, 2024 -

Picture of the Day       This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the Lee 333 Challenge. I named the challenge 333 because in...