Thursday, November 30, 2017

November 26, 2017 - Sidewinder and Mudhole Gap (partial)

The "Lee 333 Challenge"
Intersection of Sidewinder and Mudhole Gap Trails
    This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP500 (or SHEN500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the "Lee 333" in under a year also.

Today's Hike:     
     Distance: 3.79 mi
     Time: 2:05
     Ascent: 795ft
     PATC Difficulty: 78

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
     Trails: 7 of 114
     Trail Miles:  25.6 of 339.22 miles
     Hiked Miles:  38.52 mi
     
    Today's hike was a nice uneventful day with perfect weather. I'm just easing myself back into hiking again. It's going to take a while to get my climbing legs back into shape. This loop, just under 4 miles, was just the thing to get me out there again and at the same time complete one of the 114 trails in the Lee 333 (Sidewinder).

     A note on the "Ascent" and "PATC difficulty" numbers above: I'm using the GPS on my Android phone now but I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are yet. I'll bring my Garmin next time to compare the results. I think the Garmin is more accurate but I'm not using it anymore since the Android ViewRanger app. is easier to use and has a bigger screen. BTW: I've already downloaded all the maps for the Lee Ranger District so don't need a network signal to use it. FYI: I have 5 extra cell phone batteries with me and a paper map.

     The yellow dot on the map below was supposed to be a trail to the "Glass House" cabin but I couldn't find the trail. On a later date, I'll rent the cabin and hike up to Mudhole Gap to find the intersection. I know there's one there because the PATC cabin description says there is one.


Today's Track
Mudhole Gap Trail at the Parking lot on Fort Valley Road (678) 
just across from the Elizabeth Furnace Family Campground
Intersection of Bear Wallow Spur and Tuscarora Trails
Fine Views on a Perfect Day
Tuscarora - Bear climbing towards Sidewinder

Descending Sidewinder Trail, see the trail outlined in leaves below.
A dry creek on the Sidewinder Trail
The Mudhole Gap Trail is actually a forest road
Mudhole Gap Trail

Mudhole Gap Trail

Mudhole Gap Trail

Mudhole Gap Trail


No comments:

Post a Comment

May 5, 2024 -

Picture of the Day       This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the Lee 333 Challenge. I named the challenge 333 because in...