Sunday, July 14, 2024

July 13, 2024 - Abandoned Logging Road on Narrow Passage Road near Stultz Gap


Picture of the day Van Buren Furnace
 
This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the Lee 333 Challenge. I named the challenge 33"" because in my first calculation of the total mileage it added up to 333 miles. However, since then I discovered it is not that simple. I've found many trails not on the maps or in guidebooks as well as numerous abandoned logging roads. I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP 500 (or SHEN 500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the Lee 333 in under a year also.

Today's Hike:
Distance: 0.92
Duration: 0:46
Ascent: 248ft
PATC Difficulty: 21

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
Trails: 55 of 181
Trail Miles: 185.05 of 423.31 miles (238.26 miles to go)
Hiked Miles: 291.2 miles
Total Ascent: 67617 feet 
 
Today's Track in Blue

I really wish I had skipped this one. It was only a mile but the 92° temperature and the logging road being all but gone made this trip unpleasant. Bushwhacking to start and bushwhacking to finish.

I slept in the car for 40 minutes before starting. 

Some guy has had a camper trailer parked here for the last 2 months and every time I've been there he's been there with three or four dogs. This time he had his whole family with him.  He was nice and held the dogs back allowing me to bushwhack out behind the trailer. I made a loop so I didn't have to come back by the trailer.

Parking along narrow passage Creek Forest Road


Here's the trail, barely discernible




I spent the rest of the day driving around scoping out trailheads and parking. I stopped by Van Buren Furnace and later at an obscure highway parking lot I found a whole bunch of peach trees.

Spring Along Forest Road 

Van Buren Furnace



Peach Trees

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 12, 2024 - Sandy Ridge Trail