Friday, October 8, 2021

September 19, 2021 - Massanutten Trail from Crisman Hollow Rd to Big Run creek and Old Massanutten Trail

 

Picture of the Day 

    This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP500 (or SHEN500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the "Lee 333" in under a year also.

Today's Hike:
Distance: 3.08
Duration: 3:59
Ascent: 1202ft
PATC Difficulty: 86

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
Trails: 47 of 172
Trail Miles: 162.12 of 415.95 miles (253.83 miles to go)
Hiked Miles: 252.61 miles
Total Ascent: 59155.5 feet 

Today's Track
 
Parking along Crisman Hollow Road
 
     Today's hike was to connect up two previously hiked sections of the Massanutten trail and to hike an abandoned section of the Massanutten trail. I started by parking along Crisman Hollow Road at the Massanutten trail crossing and hiking north on the road to the abandoned section. The first part of the abandoned section was easy until I got to the pond. At that point the trail makes a sharp right and goes east straight up, gaining 200feet, in a very over grown bushy trail. It finally breaks out of the brush on to the new Massanutten trail at the point where it dives off the other side of the ridge and down 800ft in half a mile. My turn around point was at the bottom of this plunge where the Massanutten Connector trail intersects the Massanutten trail.
 
This is the place where the Massanutten trail crosses Crisman Hollow Road
This was  the end point of my hike.

Crisman Hollow Road looking north, where I began my hike today.

Bushwhacking my way up to the Massanutten Trail on the abandoned old Massanutten Trail
I cam across this beaten old trail sign to let me know I was on the right track.
 
Yea, the old trail was really grown over.

Lookup up and east towards the ridge
 
Some Coral mushrooms

Just before the trail tips off the ridge down 800ft in 1/2 a mile

Right in the middle of this picture is where the old Massanutten Trail joins the new one

Looking south on the Massanutten Trail, I'll take this route on my way back

Headed down 

...and down...

... and down again...

... with a few switchbacks thrown in...

Some minor relief from the really steep slope, but still going down at decent angle 

It's been a very warm fall and the flowers are still blooming

A rock slide

Crossing the lower portion of the slide where it moderates enough for the trail to pass

Looking west up the slide

...and the trail starts down again...

... how much more is there?...

...One last steep segment...

...and I've made it without falling or hurting myself in some other way...
 
I took a much needed break on the rock in the left of picture above. I sent a few pictures to friends and got a few replies back.

The intersection of the Massanutten Trail and the Massanutten Connector Trail. The Massanutten Connector Trail will take you out to RT211.

...But not me, I'm going back up hill to the car...

...ugh...climb, climb...

I made it back to the ridge and onto the official Massanutten Trail
 
A nice flat stroll back to the car, the trail parallels the Crisman Hollow Road

...Just keep going...

...Nearing the Crisman Hollow Road intersection is a nice walk in campsite...




No comments:

Post a Comment

April 20, 2024 - Cedar Creek Trail and part of Narrow Passage Road

Picture of the Day           This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I named the challenge...