Monday, September 13, 2021

September 5, 2021 - Massanutten Trail (Kern Mtn) - from Crisman Hollow Road north to a point on the Massanutten Trail

Picture of the Day 

    This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the "Lee 333 Challenge". I haven't set a challenge deadline because I can't dedicate myself 100% to it. However, if the SNAP500 (or SHEN500) can be done in one year, I don't see any reason why a dedicated enthusiast couldn't complete the "Lee 333" in under a year also.

Today's Hike:
Distance: 6.66
Duration: 5:05
Ascent: 1203ft
PATC Difficulty: 126

Lee 333 Progress Summary:
Trails: 46 of 172
Trail Miles: 158.43 of 409.74 miles (251.31 miles to go)
Hiked Miles: 249.53 miles

Today's Track
 
Getting ready to start, thought it might rain...
 
     Todays hike was an out and back trek from Crisman Hollow Road up to Kern Mtn ridge then north for a loop total of 6.6 miles. The only thing of note today was on my return trip just before reaching Q's View, three teen boys were making camp and had build their own shelter with downed trees and a tarp. I spoke to one of them fro a couple of minutes. I admire their enthusiasm but I'm headed home to my own bed. 

BTW: The trail was a bit overgrown just before I turned back and it looked like the maintainer had just finished the section I'd hiked.
 
Reached the ridge, easy going in this section

Still easy

A few more rocks in the trail but nothing serious

I love it when I see the ferns growing out of a crack in the rocks.
 
Q's View

Q's View

The trail getting more interesting
A nice place to sit and check out the map

Rock and Roll

Trail maintenance enthusiasm
 
A small 'cave'

Going up and over the ridge just after the cave

Back to the rocks again

and more rocks

Hippo?

Rocks, but not much climbing

More trail rocks

Headed back now

Solomon's Seals Fruit

Sassafras Fruit

Hurry up, the rain is coming

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 5, 2024 -

Picture of the Day       This blog chronicles the hikes I've completed in the Lee 333 Challenge. I named the challenge 333 because in...